Public Policy & Government Affairs
The Space Foundation conducts programs to educate policymakers about the complex space-related topics that they address and to ensure that the industry is well-informed on critical issues.
Throughout the year, we monitor government action related to space and provide the information to our constituents. Among our many projects were:
- Tracking and providing updates on:
- FY 2012 and FY 2013 U.S. Department of Defense space programs budgets.
- FY 2013 NASA budget.
- FY 2013 National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) and FY 2013 Defense Appropriations Act.
- FY 2013 National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) National Environmental Satellite, Data & Information Service budget.
- Issuing congressional hearing reports on export controls and the U.S. global positioning system (GPS) infrastructure.
- Issuing a report on the results of the 2012 U.S. congressional elections for members of Congress who sit on committees with space policy jurisdiction and/or have space-related constituencies.
We sponsored and participated in many events that bring the industry and policymakers together, including:
- We hosted a briefing breakfast in July featuring Assistant Secretary of Defense for Global Strategic Affairs the Honorable Madelyn Creedon, Assistant Secretary of Commerce for Export Administration Kevin Wolf and Senator Michael Bennet (D-CO), who spoke about the status of export control reform. The audience comprised congressional staff from the Senate and the House, industry executives, executive branch officials and international space representatives.
- CEO Elliot Pulham participated in a Colorado Space Coalition media Q&A in July about pending sequestration cuts to the federal defense budget.
- We partnered with the Secure World Foundation in August to host a briefing on Capitol Hill on international outer space security and sustainability initiatives. Attendance comprised congressional staff from the House and the Senate, officials from executive branch agencies, industry representatives and international space representatives.
To learn more, click here.