March Spring Break Tinkering
The Space Foundation Discovery Center is preparing to spend spring break with the public by exploring science, technology, engineering, art and mathematics (STEAM) in a week filled with “tinkering” activities.
A variety of activities are planned which are appropriate for children ages 4-8 with an adult helper and ages 9-17 on their own but an adult must be present. Each day of the event will provide a new hands-on activity to engage students in the STEAM subjects. The week-long event will wrap-up with the construction of a Chain Reaction Machine, also known as a Rube Goldberg Machine, which will be launched at noon on Saturday, March 26.
The following activities* are included in the daily admission price to the Discovery Center:
Tuesday - Friday activities are offered from 11:00 a.m. - noon and from 2:00 - 3:00 p.m.
- Tuesday, March 22 – Make a Mini Lamp: Take recycled material and electronics to create your own mini lamp
- Wednesday, March 23 - Spray Paint Space Art: Enjoy making outrageous works of art with a cool spray painting technique
- Thursday, March 24 - Create an Automaton: Enjoy a playful way of exploring simple mechanical elements with a personalized creative machine
- Friday, March 25- Paint with Light: Enjoy creating photograph images with different light sources to make a one-in-a-kind photo
- Saturday, March 26 – (10:00 – noon) - Chain Reaction Machine (Rube Goldberg Machine): Show off your best science and engineering skills and help the Space Foundation create one massive Chain Reaction Machine. Bring your own materials or your own chain reaction machine and add it to everyone else's to create one huge machine. We'll launch our Chain Reaction Machine at noon on Saturday, March 26.
Other featured activities included in Discovery Center admission, March 22-26
In our Lockheed Martin Space Education Center:
- Tuesday thru Friday, Minecraft from 3:00 - 4:00 p.m., in our AGI Space Missions Simulation Laboratory
- Saturday, Mars Robotics Laboratory activities, 10:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Tinkering Stations available throughout the week:
- K'NEX toys for build and exploring
- Ball Maze
- Cloud Chamber
- KEVA Planks
- Circuit Blocks
*Activities are subject to change, and parents/guardian must accompany children.