Summer of Discovery: Week 1 - Oceans of the Universe
Beginning Tuesday, June 4, the Space Foundation Discovery Center will be open Tuesday through Saturday, 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. for the Summer of Discovery! Each week will focus on a specific theme, culminating with a full day of special activities and events planned for each Saturday. Bring your family and friends and join in the fun - we've brought Space down to Earth for all to enjoy!
Saturday, June 8
Oceans of the Universe
Come explore with us the water worlds of our known universe. Using Science On a Sphere®, underwater ROV's and hands-on activities we will investigate Earth's oceans from its deepest, darkest depths to its colorful reefs teeming with life. We will probe the planets and moons of our own solar system and the exoplanets beyond that harbor oceans and the possibility of life.
Oceans of Fun for the Whole Family on Saturday, June 8
- Science On a Sphere Presentations
- 10:30/1:30/4:30 - "Oceans of the Universe"
- 11:30/12:30/2:30/3:30 - "Aquarium of the Pacific"
- Hands-On Educational Activities
- 11:00/2:00/4:00 - "You've Gots Guts" Squid Dissection
- Underwater robotic activities - underwater remotely operated vehicles (ROVs) similar to the ones used to train astronauts
- "Fossils of the Deep" - children will enjoy digging for fossils and shells
- Small Fry Reading Corner with the following guest readers:
- 10:00 a.m. – Laura Neumann, chief of staff, City of Colorado Springs
- 10:30 a.m. – Brian Burnett, vice chancellor for administration and finance, University of Colorado at Colorado Springs, A House for Hermit Crab
- 11:00 a.m. – Dianne Derby, news anchor, KKTV, Danny & Daisy-A Tale of a Dolphin Duo
- 11:30 a.m. – Sherryl Dillon, vice president, Cheyenne Mountain School District 12 Board of Education, Harry Horseshoe Crab-A Tale of Crawly Creatures
- 12:00 p.m. – Karla Probert, volunteer, Space Foundation, Manfish
- 12:30 p.m. – Col Robert J. Kraus, chief scientist and director of research, USAFA, One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish
- 1:30 p.m. – Col Robert J. Kraus, chief scientist and director of research, USAFA, Mary Manatee-A Tale of Sea Cows
- 2:00 p.m. – Karla Probert, volunteer, Space Foundation, Manfish
- 2:30 p.m. - Col Robert J. Kraus, chief scientist and director of research, USAFA, Sea Creatures Pop-Up
- 3:30 p.m. – Julie Howell, marketing project manager, Space Foundation, Big Sharks!
- 4:00 p.m. – Cheryl Ledford, education programs assistant, Space Foundation, The Whales Go By
- 4:30 p.m. – Chrys Rheinbolt, education programs coordinator, Space Foundation, Humphrey The Lost Whale
*Events and activities for all weeks are subject to change without notice.
More details about all 10 weeks of Summer of Discovery at www.spacefoundation.org/events/summer-discovery.
Daily Admission Rates
(effective June 4 - August 10, 2013)
|College Students (Student ID)||$7|
|Children* (3 and under)||FREE|
|Military (Military ID)||FREE|
|Colorado Springs Together Card Holders||FREE
*This is not a day camp - children 17 years and younger must be accompanied by an adult