CSExtra – Friday, January 18, 2013
If you would prefer to receive CSExtra in e-mail format, e-mail us at [email protected] with the word SUBSCRIBE in the subject line.
Friday’s CSExtra offers the latest reporting and commentary on space related activities from around the globe. The International Space Station program assesses faster travel times for crews launched to the orbiting science lab. NASA sponsors a contest to obtain more power from the station’s solar panels. In New Mexico, a top Virgin Galactic executive urges business leaders to support new liability protections for commercial space companies. NASA laser technology delivers an image of the Mona Lisa to the moon. Mohawk Guy Bobak Ferdowsi changes his hair style for the Washington Inaugural Parade. How Moon dogs and Sun dogs grace the night and day time skies.
1. From Spacepolicyonline.com: When a new crew launches to the International Space Station in late March, they could be the first to make the transit in less than a day, rather than the usual two. The Soyuz mission is set for a lift off on March 27. The Soyuz capsule with two cosmonauts and a NASA astronaut would reach the station in four orbits of the Earth, or six hours.
2. From Space.com: NASA sponsors a contest for software code that would optimize the power generated by the International Space Station’s solar arrays. The agency offers $30,000 for the best suggestion for a more efficient algorithm.
3. From The Albuquerque Journal: A top official with Virgin Galactic, the suborbital space passenger company, urges New Mexico business leaders to support state legislation granting commercial space companies liability protection. Other states offer as much. Virgin Galactic is an anchor tenant of New Mexico’s Spaceport America.
4.From Space.com: NASA uses laser technology to beam an image of the Mona Lisa to the agency’s Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter.
5. From The Los Angeles Times: It’s already an open secret that the Jet Propulsion Laboratory’s Mohawk Guy, Bobak Ferdowsi, will participate in President Obama’s inaugural parade on Monday. But he’s also changing hair style. Ferdowsi rose to social media fame during the landing of NASA’s Curiosity rover on Mars.
6. From Universe Today: Moondogs and Sundogs. Moon dogs come from ice crystals in the atmosphere.
Brought to you by the Coalition for Space Exploration, CSExtra is a daily compilation of space industry news selected from hundreds of online media resources. The Coalition is not the author or reporter of any of the stories appearing in CSExtra and does not control and is not responsible for the content of any of these stories. The content available through CSExtra contains links to other websites and domains which are wholly independent of the Coalition, and the Coalition makes no representation or warranty as to the accuracy, completeness or authenticity of the information contained in any such site or domain and does not pre-screen or approve any content. The Coalition does not endorse or receive any type of compensation from the included media outlets and is not responsible or liable in any way for any content of CSExtra or for any loss, damage or injury incurred as a result of any content appearing in CSExtra. For information on the Coalition, visit www.spacecoalition.com or contact us via e-mail at [email protected].