Top Space Professionals Mentor a New Generation of Space Leaders at Space Symposium
The annual Space Symposium features events, mentoring and networking opportunities specifically aimed at young space professionals age 35 or younger, part of the Space Foundation's New Generation Initiatives.
Workshops, luncheons and presentations help New Generation participants understand critical space issues, such as how policy and budgets are developed. Multiple networking events bring young professionals together with senior leaders in an informal environment. Plus, the daily Space Symposium master moderators are selected from the New Generation ranks.
At this year's Space Symposium, the New Generation Leadership Perspectives Luncheon (pictured right) on April 11 was co-sponsored by Astrium, with featured speaker Mark Sirangelo, corporate vice president, Sierra Nevada Corporation Space Systems.
The agenda included a new networking opportunity this year, co-sponsored by Stevens Institute of Technology, the New Generation Space Leaders Breakfast.
Mentors for this year's New Generation Leadership Exchange, also known as speed mentoring, were:
- John Celli, president, SSL
- Brig. Gen. Cary C. Chun, USAF, Ret., senior vice president, Space & Intelligence, ASRC Federal
- Jim Crocker, vice president and general manager, Civil Space Lockheed Martin
- John Elbon, vice president and general manager, Space Exploration Boeing Defense, Space & Security
- Michael C. Gass, president & chief executive officer, United Launch Alliance (ULA)
- Travis Langster, vice president, DoD and Intel Space Business Development Analytical Graphics, Inc. (AGI)
- Col. Steven W. Lindsey, USAF, Ret., director, Flight Operations, Space Systems Group, Sierra Nevada Corporation
- James (Jim) Maser, president, Pratt & Whitney Rocketdyne
- Maj. Gen. Roosevelt Mercer, Jr., USAF, Ret., vice president, Government, Commercial & International Initiatives ITT Exelis, Inc.
- Serge Plattard, Ph.D., resident fellow, European Space Policy Institute
- Richard Pournelle, senior vice president, business development, NanoRacks
- Kay Sears, president, Intelsat General
- Maj. Gen. Jack Weinstein, USAF, director, Air, Space and Cyberspace Operations, Air Force Space Command
- Deborah Westphal, managing director, Toffler Associates
- John Williams, president & CEO, Universal Space Network