Women's Global Gathering Launched at 33rd Space Symposium
Written by: developer
The inaugural Women’s Global Gathering was a popular addition to the 33rd Space Symposium, with more than 250 distinguished guests in attendance to hear featured speaker Gen. Ellen Pawlikowski, USAF, Commander Air Force Material Command, followed by a panel of senior leaders discussing their insights on the crucial role of women in aerospace. Moderated by Alice Bunn, Ph.D., Director of Policy for the UK Space Agency, the panel (pictured) included:
- Maj. Gen. Nina M. Armagno, USAF, Director of Strategic Plans, Programs, Requirements and Analysis, Headquarters Air Force Space Command, Peterson Air Force Base
- Professor Pascale Ehrenfreund, Chair of the Executive Board, German Aerospace Center (DLR)
- Maureen Ryan O’Brien, Manager, Strategic Alliances, Office of Communications, NASA Headquarters
- Susan Opp, President, Space & Power Sector, L3 Technologies
- Becky Yoder, CPA, Chief Executive Officer, Surrey Satellite Technology U.S.
Master of Ceremonies, Shelli Brunswick (pictured), Chief Operating Officer for the Space Foundation and also Chair of the Board of Directors for Women in Aerospace (WIA), a 2,000 plus member organization representing more than 250 companies and including more than 80 corporate members, said, “In space, there are no glass ceilings. The Space Foundation and Women in Aerospace are committed to fostering the growth of our industry by empowering and inspiring women around the world. Through global networks, we can build a collaborative environment where men and women from all countries can connect and make a difference. The aerospace industry is truly a global partnership.”
This perspective is reflected in the expansion of the Space Symposium’s international participants to 35 countries. Almost 25 percent of all Symposium registrants were from countries outside of the United States. And during the Women’s Global Gathering, WIA announced new global network partners with Mexico and Japan, to join WIA Europe, South Africa and Canada.
Please join us for the next motivational networking event, the second Women’s Global Gathering at the 34th Space Symposium, April 16-19, 2018, The Broadmoor, Colorado Springs. See you there!
This article is part of Space Watch: May 2017 (Volume: 16, Issue: 5).
Posted in Space Symposium