Annual Report: Public Policy and Government Affairs
The Space Foundation conducts a broad range of programs to educate policy-makers about the complex space-related topics that they must address and to ensure that the industry is well-informed on critical space issues. Throughout the year, we monitored hearings and provided quick-turnaround hearing reports and analysis to corporate and government customers.
Among the briefings we hosted were:
- A national security space strategy session for congress featuring Ambassador Gregory Schulte, deputy assistant secretary of defense for space policy
- A DoD procurement roundtable event on Capitol Hill with congressional staff, DoD officials and industry leaders
- A cyber security executive session featuring U.S. Air Force Space Command Vice Commander Lt. Gen. Michael J. Basla, USAF
The events we participated in included:
- Speaking on global launch markets at a space policy discussion at The George Washington University Space Policy Institute Symposium on Space Transportation Policy and Market Risks in Washington. D.C.
- Testifying on the importance of a robust space program before the U.S. Senate Committee on Commerce, Science and Transportation
- Speaking about space policy at the 12th Annual AMOS Conference in Maui, Hawai'i
- Explaining the policy process at the Students for the Exploration and Development of Space (SEDS) SpaceVision 2011 conference in Boulder, Colo.
- Co-sponsoring, along with the Rocky Mountain World Trade Center and the National Defense Industrial Association, a training session on the International Traffic in Arms (ITAR) regulations, which have significant impact on U.S. space commerce.
Quantum Leap: 2011 Annual Report to be Released Later this Month
Watch for information about the upcoming Space Foundation annual report, Quantum Leap: 2011 Annual Report, which will be posted on our website.
To learn more about Space Foundation public policy and government affairs programs, go to www.SpaceFoundation.org/programs.
Pictured, top to bottom: Ambassador Gregory Schulte, Space Foundation Government Affairs Associate Tommy Sanford (speaking at SpaceVision2011), Lt. Gen. Michael J. Basla, USAF