Space Foundation Press Releases
Barrett, Faga, and Musk join Space Foundation's Board of Directors
Written by: Space Foundation Editorial Team
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo.(Jan. 8, 2007) — Today the Board of Directors of the Space Foundation announced the election of new officers and directors of the corporation, effective Jan. 17, 2007. Ms. Barbara M. Barrett (Paradise Valley, Az.), Mr. Martin C. Faga (McLean, Va.), and Mr. Elon Musk (El Segundo, Calif.) were elected new members of the board. Mr. Lon Levin (Washington, D.C.), chief strategic officer, Transformational Space Corp., and co-founder of XM Satellite Radio, was elected to a two-year term as Treasurer of the Board. The Honorable Robert S. Walker, chairman, Wexler & Walker Public Policy Associates, continues to serve as Chairman of the Board. Gen Thomas S. Moorman, Jr., USAF (Retired), vice president, Booz Allen Hamilton, is Vice Chairman, and Dr. William F. Ballhaus, Jr., president and chief executive officer, The Aerospace Corporation, is Secretary. Barrett is president and chief executive officer, Triple Creek Ranch. She has been involved in international business and aviation for more than 25 years and applies her legal and business experience serving on many boards and committees. Barrett is chair of the U.S. Advisory Commission on Public Diplomacy and served as the first woman deputy administrator of the Federal Aviation Administration. Before she was 30, she was an officer and executive of two Fortune 500 companies. Faga is a former president and chief executive officer of The MITRE Corporation. He served from 1989 until 1993 as Assistant Secretary of the Air Force for Space and as Director of the National Reconnaissance Office (NRO). President Bush appointed him to the President’s Foreign Intelligence Advisory Board and to the Public Interest Declassification Board. Musk is chairman and chief executive officer of the Space Exploration Technologies Corporation (SpaceX), which he founded. Musk also is the co-founder of PayPal and Zip2 Corporation. After completing their terms of service, Dr. Guion S. Bluford, Jr., president, Aerospace Technology Group; Dr. Jaleh Daie, managing partner, Aurora Equity, LLC; and Gen. John L. “Pete” Piotrowski, USAF (Retired), former vice president, Science Applications International Corporation, were elected to the honorary position of Life Director. Board members serve for three-year terms. Members continuing to serve are:
- Mr. Robert A. Bednarek, president and chief executive officer, SES New Skies
- Gen Howell M. Estes, III, USAF (Retired), president, Howell Estes & Associates, Inc.
- Mr. William MacDonald “Mac” Evans, former president, Canadian Space Agency
- Mr. Paul Graziani, president and chief executive officer, Analytical Graphics, Inc.
- CAPT Frederick Hauck, USN (Retired), retired NASA astronaut and former president and chief executive officer of AXA Space, Inc.
- Mr. Marc L. Holtzman, former president, Denver University
- Dr. Alexis C. Livanos, corporate vice president, Northrop Grumman and president, Space Technology Sector, Northrop Grumman
- Ms. Joanne Maguire, executive vice president, Lockheed Martin Space Systems Company
- The Honorable Charles Robb, former U.S. Senator and former governor of Virginia
- Col Brewster H. Shaw, Jr., USAF (Retired), vice president and general manager, Boeing Space Exploration
- VADM Richard H. Truly, USN (Retired), former director, National Renewable Energy Lab, and executive vice president, Midwest Research Institute
- Dr. Neil deGrasse Tyson, director, Hayden Planetarium, Rose Center for Earth and Space, American Museum of Natural History
- Ms. Heidi Wood, managing director and senior equity analyst in aerospace, defense, and defense electronics, Morgan Stanley
Photographs are available upon request. Contact Stephanie Schierholz Fibbs at [email protected]. About the Space Foundation Founded in 1983 and headquartered in Colorado Springs, the Space Foundation is a national nonprofit organization that vigorously advances civil, commercial, and national security space endeavors and inspires, enables, and propels tomorrow’s explorers. The Space Foundation also has an office in Washington, D.C., and Field Representatives in New York, Houston, and Cape Canaveral, Fla. The Space Foundation is a leader in space awareness activities, trade association services, research and analysis for the global space industry, and educational enterprises that bring space into the classroom. The Space Foundation conducts the premier annual gathering of the global space community, the National Space Symposium, which takes place April 9-12, 2007, at The Broadmoor Hotel in Colorado Springs. Along with partnering organizations, the Space Foundation also conducts Strategic Space and Defense (Oct. 9-11, 2007), in Omaha, Neb. For more information, visit www.SpaceFoundation.org.
Posted in Space Foundation Press Releases