Space Foundation Press Releases
Space Foundation Teacher Liaisons Announced
Written by: Space Foundation Editorial Team
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo.(Feb. 25, 2004) — An exciting new initiative is underway at the Space Foundation, which today announced its first flight of Teacher Liaisons. This select group of educators will receive special training and professional development experiences as part of their commitment in representing the Space Foundation in schools across the country. They will be an active link between the Space Foundation, NASA, and their school/district in advocating and promoting space and science education through standard’s based lessons, professional development, and NASA activities. These prestigious positions include a variety of benefits and privileges such as special recognition during the 20th Anniversary National Space Symposium – the premier annual space industry conference anywhere in the world – held at The Broadmoor in Colorado Springs, March 29 – April 1, 2004; student admission for Teacher Liaison classes to the National Space Symposium Northrup Grumman Exhibit Center; specialized training and instruction at Space Foundation and NASA workshops; and a variety of cutting-edge space science materials. Space Foundation Teacher Liaisons will actively support and implement space science materials into their teaching curriculum, attend specialized training and workshops, and be focal points within their school/organization for Space Foundation “Space Day” activities. The inaugural 2004 Space Foundation Teacher Liaison class includes
- Stephanie Ashworth, Pine Lane Intermediate, Parker, Colo.
- Michael Bashonski, Riverwood Elem., McHenry, Ill.
- Mark Brickhouse, Clear Creek M.S., Idaho Springs, Colo.
- Bob Carnahan, K-12th grade advisor, Palmer, Alaska
- Tobin Chandler, Fountain-Fort Carson H.S., Fountain, Colo.
- Wanda Christensen, Gorman M.S., Colorado Springs, Colo.- D#2
- Bryan DeBates, Timberwilde Elem., San Antonio, Texas
- Dennis Friedrichs, Gooland H.S., Gooland, Kan.
- Ann Grimm, Estes-Cox Corporation, Penrose, Colo.
- Elsa Harridge, Mark Twain Elem., Colorado Springs, Colo.- D#11
- Anne Howard, Edgewood City Schools, Trenton, Ohio
- Leesa Hubbard, Wilson Central H.S., Lebanon, Tenn.
- Suzette Canete Kelly, Woodmen-Roberts Elem., Colorado Springs, Colo.- D#20
- April Pergl-Lanotte, Challenger M.S., Colorado Springs, Colo.- D#20
- Daniel Lewandowski, 50th Space Wing, Colorado Springs, Colo.
- Terry Littleton, Northrop-Grumman-Mission, Colorado Springs, Colo.
- John Mann, Lewis Palmer H.S., Monument, Colo. – D#38
- Lucinda Mitchell, Ruth Fox Elem., North Branch, Mich.
- Donna Persinger, Sissonville Elem., Sissonville, W. Va.
- Tommye Rafes, Gene Pike M.S., Justin, Texas
- Debbie Saccoliti, Eagleview M.S., Colorado Springs, Colo. – D#20
- David Sayers, St. Lucie Centennial H.S., Port St. Lucie, Fla.
- Rod Schon, Day Star Christian School, Pueblo, Colo.
- Teresa Sindelar, Kansas Cosmosphere Space Center, Kansas City, Kan.
- Darlene Thomas, St. Rose Elem., Murfreesboro, Tenn.
- Susan Thompson, St. Vrain Valley, Longmont, Colo.
- Dr. Troy J. Vincent, Farnsworth Aero Elem. Magnet, St. Paul, Minn. (Principal)
- Jill Gugisberg-Wall, Farnsworth Aero. Elem. Magnet, St. Paul, Minn. (Aerospace Coordinator)
- Ranganath Weiner, West M.S., Colorado Springs, Colo. – D#11
- Joan Wilson, Millard North M.S., Omaha, Neb.
About the Space Foundation
The Ascent program is just one of the latest Space Foundation efforts to advance and support educational excellence. This year the Foundation will host the second annual Space Career Fair for College Students at the 20th National Space Symposium on March 30; and recently created a Web site featuring fun space activities for youngsters. The Foundation also manages an on-site NASA Educational Resource Center; offers two distinct Master’s in Space Studies Degrees in conjunction with the University of Colorado at Colorado Springs and Regis University; and has trained more than 30,000 teachers since 1986 on Teaching With Space through Space Discovery graduate courses and national conferences. For more information, visit www.spacefoundation.org.
Posted in Space Foundation Press Releases