Space Foundation News
Today at the Discovery Center!
Written by: developer
“Mars, Rovers and Robots” opened today at the Space Foundation Discovery Center in Colorado Springs and welcomed a group from Springs of Life Children’s Center and other guests.
The Space Foundation Discovery Center is the region’s first and only space, science and technology attraction, and is located off Garden of the Gods Road at 4425 Arrowswest Drive. The Discovery Center is open to the public from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Tuesdays through Saturdays, June 4 – Aug. 10.
The theme for June 11 – 15 is “Mars, Rovers and Robots,” exploring the role that robots and rovers play in space exploration, with a special focus on the fascinating red planet.
These June 15 activities are included in the price of Saturday admission:
- Meet your favorite Star Wars characters
- Free micro robots for the first 200 children
- Cool Science® Magic Show “How Cold is it in Space?” and hands-on science activities – 11:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m.
- Colorado Springs Police Department regional explosives unit robot demonstration, 1:00 p.m. until 4:00 p.m.
- Andros F6A – a medium-sized robot platform that can perform a variety of tasks
- Applied research associates’ (ARA) Pointman – a small platform, surveillance and reconnaissance robot
- Enjoy the new Space Foundation “Touch of Mars” interactive display
- Science On a Sphere® demonstrations, featuring a unique spherical display that brings Mars and our Earth, Sun and Moon to life
- Underwater robotics with remotely operated vehicles (ROVs) similar to the ones used to train astronauts
- Robot demonstrations all day, featuring IEEE Colorado Technical University Student Branch, MITRE Robotics Challenge, Cougars Gone Wired – Team 2996, The Classical Academy Sea Pearch and Ameribotics®
- Rocket models – Southern Colorado Rocketeers Remotec’s
- “Mars, Rovers and Robots” NASA Film Fest
- Create your own ROBI robot and other crafts (pictured)
- Space artifact exhibits, including, rockets, rovers and space suits
- Free Wendy’s chili (while it lasts)
- Bite Me Gourmet Sausages® and astronaut ice cream for sale
- “Astronauts!” June 18-22
- “Blue Planet – Green Living” June 25-29
- “Red, White and Blue” July 2-6
- “Weather Wonders” July 9-13
- “One Giant Leap” July 16-20
- “Women in Spaceflight” July 23-27
- “Colorado Days” July 30-Aug. 3
- “A Taste of Space Technology” Aug. 6-10
Daily admission is $9 for adults, $7 for seniors (age 65+), $7 for college students with I.D., $3 for children ages 4-17. Admission is free with military I.D., to children age three years and younger and to holders of the Colorado Springs Together Card.
See more details here.
See photos of the opening day of “Mars, Rovers and Robots” here.
Posted in Space Foundation News