Space Foundation News
Summer of Discovery "Oceans" Continues Through June 21
Written by: developer
“Oceans” is the current Summer of Discovery theme at the Space Foundation’s Discovery Center in Colorado Springs, examining the similarities between space and deep sea exploration.
The Discovery Center is located off of Garden of the Gods Road at 4425 Arrowswest Drive, and is the region’s first and only space, science and technology attraction.
“Oceans” continues through June 21, and features the following activities:
June 17 – 21
- Shell/Fossil Identification Station, digging for fossils and shells (pictured)
- Squid Dissection – $4 per squid, Friday, June 20 at 1:00 p.m.; Saturday, June 21 at 1:00 p.m. and 3:00 p.m.* (pictured below)
- Under the Sea Jar – Tuesday, Friday and Saturday; June 17, 20 and 21*
- Minecraft games in AGI Space Missions Simulation Laboratory – noon and 2:00 p.m.*
- Underwater Junk Engineering – Contest, Saturday, June 21
- Underwater ROVs (Remotely Operated Underwater Vehicles)
- Mars Robotics Laboratory presentations – 11:00 a.m., 1:00 p.m. and 3:00 p.m.
- Ocean-themed crafts
- Ocean in a Bottle – Wednesday and Thursday; June 18 and 19
- Science On a Sphere® presentations – every 30 minutes
Food and refreshments available – Bite Me Sausage Food Truck – Saturday, June 21, 11:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.*
Please see website for further details at www.spacefoundation.org/events/summer-discovery. Activities are subject to change.
Other Summer of Discovery themes include:
- Astronomy, June 24 – 28, July 1 – 3 (the Discovery Center will be CLOSED July 4 and 5)
- Mars, Rovers & Robots, July 8 – 12, July 15 – 19
- Rocketry, July 22 – 26, July 29 – Aug. 2
- A Taste of Space Technology, Aug. 5 – 9, Aug. 12 – 16
About the Space Foundation Discovery Center
The Discovery Center is open Tuesday through Saturday, 10:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., with occasional evening events. The Discovery Center is closed on Sunday and Monday and on holidays.
Discovery Center daily admission fees are $9 for adults, $7 for seniors (age 65+), $7 for college students with I.D., $3 for children ages 4-17. Military fees are $4.50 for adults with I.D., and $1.50 for children ages 4-17. Children age three years and younger are admitted free.
For information about group visits, and holiday and weather closures, call 719.576.8000. For general information about the Discovery Center, visit www.spacefoundation.org/museum.
Unlimited admission to the Discovery Center is now available with a Discovery Passport. Family, Individual and Student Passports may be purchased online and are good for 12 months from the date of purchase. Passports may be used for admission to Summer of Discovery (but not for extra-fee activities). Member benefits include a 10 percent discount on Discovery Center Store merchandise and members-only sneak previews of new exhibits. Learn more by visiting www.spacefoundation.org/events/summer-discovery-2014.
Posted in Space Foundation News