Report from Washington, D.C.
House Science, Space & Technology Subcommittee on Space Hearing
Written by: developer
On Sept. 10, the House Science, Space & Technology Subcommittee on Space held a hearing entitled “Exploring Our Solar System: The ASTEROIDS Act as a Key Step.”
The American Space Technology for Exploring Resource Opportunities in Deep Space (ASTEROIDS) Act of 2014 would establish and protect rights for commercial space exploration and utilization of asteroid resources.
The bipartisan bill was introduced by Congressman Bill Posey (R-FL) and Congressman Derek Kilmer (D-WA), and the witnesses included:
- Dr. Jim Green, Director, NASA Planetary Science Division
- Dr. Jim Bell, Professor of Earth and Space Science Exploration, Arizona State University, and President, Board of Directors, The Planetary Society
- Dr. Mark Sykes, CEO and Director, Planetary Science Institute
- Joanne Gabrynowicz, Professor Emerita, Director Emerita, Journal of Space Law Editor-in-Chief Emerita, University of Mississippi
- Dr. Philip Christensen, Co-Chair, NRC Committee on Astrobiology and Planetary Science (CAPS) Chair, Mars Panel, NRC Planetary Decadal Survey, Regents Professor, Arizona State University
This article is part of Space Watch: October 2014 (Volume: 13, Issue: 10).
Posted in Report from Washington, D.C.