Space Foundation Press Releases
Space Foundation Opens Nomination Period For 2022 General James E. Hill Lifetime Space Achievement Award
Written by: Space Foundation Editorial Team
Recognizing Outstanding Individuals Who Have Distinguished Themselves Through Lifetime Contributions
- Space Foundation’s highest award, to be presented at 37th Space Symposium
- Nomination period is Oct. 12–Dec. 6, 2021
- Nomination guidelines and contact information detailed herein
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. — Oct. 12, 2021 — Space Foundation, a nonprofit advocate organization founded in 1983 for the global space ecosystem, today announced that it is now accepting nominations for its highest honor, the General James E. Hill Lifetime Space Achievement Award.
Awarded in honor of Space Foundation’s late, longtime chairman, Gen. James E. Hill, USAF (Ret.), the accolade recognizes outstanding individuals who have distinguished themselves through lifetime contributions of 20 years or more to humankind through exploration, development and use of space or through use of space technology, information or resources in academic, cultural, industrial or other pursuits of broad benefit to humanity.
Commenting on the call for nominees, Space Foundation CEO Tom Zelibor said, “Many of the achievements of today’s unfolding space era are built upon the groundbreaking accomplishments of our Hill awardees. Their leadership has pioneered and revolutionized an environment that is creating more access and opportunity every day, and Space Foundation looks forward to heralding another space community champion at the 37th Space Symposium.”
Nominations must be received between Oct. 12 and Dec. 6, 2021, via standard mail or email. Any person may nominate a candidate for the award; however, individuals may not nominate themselves. Nominees and their contributions must be judged to be of the highest caliber and of national or international significance by the board of directors of Space Foundation. The award will be presented at Space Foundation’s 37th Space Symposium, to be held April 4-7, 2022, at The Broadmoor in Colorado Springs.
Recent recipients included:
2021 Patti Grace Smith, FAA official, private space travel advocate
2020 Eugene F. “Gene” Kranz, former NASA Flight Director
2019 Lt. Gen. Thomas P. Stafford USAF (Ret.).
2018 Christopher C. Kraft, Jr., former NASA Flight Director
2017 Piers J. Sellers, OBE, Ph.D.
Nominees must meet at least two of the following measures:
- Significantly advanced state-of-the-art of space technology
- Significantly advanced humankind’s understanding of space or space technology
- Significantly contributed to public understanding of, or support for, space endeavors
- Significantly and positively shaped governmental policy toward space
- Effectively interpreted, through visual or other communicative arts, the majesty and importance of space
- Effectively provided — by management, advocacy or design—significant, enduring or crucial space systems or infrastructure
- Effectively employed space technologies, research systems or space-derived data to improve the human condition through the artistic, scientific or humanistic endeavor
Space Foundation’s mission is to be the preeminent advocate and gateway for lifelong education, trusted information, and seamless collaboration for all people and organizations engaging in space exploration and space-inspired industries that drive the global space ecosystem. Nominees must exemplify Space Foundation’s mission by meeting at least three of the following criteria:
- Written or published papers, textbooks, articles, etc., relating to the exploration, development or utilization of space, or has spoken in public forums such as conferences and symposia
- Promoted and disseminated information about space exploration, development or utilization through any medium
- Been active with non-space-related groups — whether professional, fraternal, industrial, academic or community-based — resulting in a transfer of space knowledge to other professions or groups
- Been active in community or public service not related to normal job responsibilities
- Volunteered or otherwise contributed significant or extended effort on behalf of Space Foundation and its mission
To submit a nomination, send a letter by standard mail or via email, not to exceed two pages in length, addressed to:
Vice President – Strategic Communications & Outreach
Space Foundation Washington, D.C., Office
1700 North Moore Street
Arlington, VA 22209
Upon ratification by Space Foundation’s board of directors, the honoree will be notified immediately in writing. Questions may be directed to Rich Cooper via email at his above-noted address.
About Space Foundation
Space Foundation is a nonprofit advocate organization founded in 1983, offering a gateway to information, education and collaboration for space exploration and space-inspired industries that define the global space ecosystem. Driven by a partnership model, Space Foundation operates three divisions that unite the entire spectrum of stakeholders — business, government, education and local communities — through corporate membership, sponsorship, fundraising and grants. Symposium 365 is the premier source for media and events, offering authoritative news and information and venues for networking and conducting business, including the world-renowned Space Symposium and The Space Report. Center for Innovation and Education is a lifelong learning platform, offering workforce development and economic opportunity for students, teachers, entrepreneurs and professionals. Global Alliance facilitates collaboration around the world for open dialogues and joint programs. Visit Space Foundation at www.SpaceFoundation.org, and follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn and YouTube.
All brand names and product names are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective companies.
Tags: Space Foundation, General James E. Hill Lifetime Space Achievement Award, 37th Space Symposium, space economy, space technology, space innovation, space ecosystem, space advocate, space commerce, space exploration, space-inspired industries
Vice President, Strategic Communications & Outreach
Posted in Space Foundation Press Releases