Space Foundation News
Gen. William Shelton Elected Space Foundation Vice Chairman
Written by: developer
The Board of Directors of the Space Foundation held its annual meeting on Nov. 10, and Gen. William L. Shelton, USAF (Ret.), was elected to a one-year term as Vice Chairman of the Board. Shelton is former Commander, Air Force Space Command.
ADM James O. Ellis, Jr., USN (Ret.), will continue as Chairman of the Board of Directors. A former commander of United States Strategic Command, Ellis is an Annenberg Distinguished Fellow at the Hoover Institution, Stanford University.
Kathryn Thornton, Ph.D., was re-elected to a one-year term as Special Director for Education. Thornton is a former NASA astronaut, and is a professor at the University of Virginia.
Re-elected to a one-year term as Secretary was Kay N. Sears, Vice President, Strategy and Business Development, Lockheed Martin Space Systems Company (SSC).
Also on the executive committee is Treasurer Hoyt Davidson, Managing Partner, Near Earth LLC, and Director Emeritus Lon. C. Levin, President and CEO of GEOshare, who was re-elected to a second term and appointed Member-at-Large.
The Space Foundation Chief Executive Officer position is vacant.
Re-elected to second terms on the Board were:
- Michael C. Gass, former President and Chief Executive Officer, United Launch Alliance
- Fritz Merkle, Ph.D., member of the Executive Board, OHB System AG
Members of the Board of Directors include:
- New Generation Space Leader – Victoria Alonsopérez, Founder, Chipsafer; former Chair, Space Generation Advisory Council
- Richard F. Ambrose, Executive Vice President, Lockheed Martin Space Systems Company
- Alice Bunn, Ph.D., Director of Policy, UK Space Agency
- The Honorable Robert E. “Bud” Cramer, Managing Director, C2Group/FTI Consulting
- John W. Elbon, Vice President and General Manager, The Boeing Company – Space Exploration
- The Honorable Thomas C. Feeney, III, President and Chief Executive Officer, Associated Industries of Florida
- Jeffrey D. Grant, Sector Vice President and General Manager, Space Systems, Northrop Grumman Aerospace Systems
- Blake E. Larson, Chief Operating Officer, Orbital ATK
- Amy Mainzer, Ph.D., Senior Research Scientist, Jet Propulsion Laboratory
- P.J. O’Rourke, author and political satirist
- Robert D. Richards, Ph.D., Founder & CEO, Moon Express, Inc.
- Ronald M. Sega, Ph.D., Director, Systems Engineering Programs, Colorado State University; former NASA astronaut
- Richard R. Yuse, Vice President, Raytheon Company, President, Space and Airborne Systems
The new Board terms commence on January 1, 2017.
This article is part of Space Watch: December 2016 (Volume: 15, Issue: 12).
Posted in Space Foundation News