Space Foundation News
Apply by Dec. 14 to Become a Space Foundation Teacher Liaison
Written by: developer
The Space Foundation is now accepting applications for its 2013 flight of Teacher Liaisons. This will be the 10th year of this prestigious, nationally recognized program that provides an honored few educators numerous benefits and privileges, helps strengthen their teaching skills, builds resumes and influences education at a national level.
Applications will be accepted until Friday, Dec. 14, 2012. See more at: www.spacefoundation.org/education/education-programs/teacher-liaison-officers.
PreK-20 teachers and other professional or informal educators in the PreK-20 arena are eligible to be Space Foundation Teacher Liaisons. Teacher Liaisons tend to be Master Teachers who want to inspire the next generation of students to pursue and excel in the areas of science, technology, engineering and math (STEM). Teacher Liaisons do not need to be science or math teachers; they need only to have a desire to integrate space education within their curriculum.
Space Foundation Teacher Liaisons serve as active links between the Space Foundation, NASA and their schools and school districts. This influential role includes numerous benefits, privileges and activities such as special recognition during the 29th National Space Symposium, to be held at The Broadmoor Hotel in Colorado Springs, Colo., April 8-11, 2013. Benefits include:
- COMPLIMENTARY 29th National Space Symposium registration, a $1,895 value
- COMPLIMENTARY admission to the exhibit center at the 29th National Space Symposium
- Specialized training and instruction at Space Foundation workshops with optional graduate-level credit
- National recognition as an advocate in promoting and improving space and science education through standards-based lesson plans, training, and NASA activities
- Cutting-edge space education materials
- Communication with top educators from across the country
- Access to the Teacher Liaison online forums
- A special logo shirt worn only by Space Foundation Teacher Liaisons
- “First” opportunities to attend special presentations, such as an Audience with an Astronaut or tours of space exhibits, to participate in program pilots or course evaluations
Teacher Liaison Requirements
Once accepted into the program, a one-year probationary period is mandatory to fulfill required duties and responsibilities. A Teacher Liaison leadership committee will review each probationary member’s activities during that year to determine full acceptance. Teacher Liaisons are expected to perform the following:
- Attend local Space Foundation workshops and/or training events
- Promote and advocate Space Foundation events, programs and activities by wearing Teacher Liaison “logo apparel” and communicating with colleagues and school staff about the value of space-based education programs
- Actively support and implement space activities and materials into teaching curriculum
- Serve as a focal point for your school for Space Foundation activities
- Attend at least one Space Foundation week-long Space Across the Curriculum course
- Authorize the use of name and likeness in Space Foundation press releases, marketing and promotional materials
- Stay in contact via email on a quarterly basis with Teacher Liaison Coordinator
There is no fee to apply, or membership cost. Apply for the 2013 program online by Dec. 14, 2012, at: www.spacefoundation.org/educationtemp/tls/user/register. Additional information is available by contacting Amy Robinson at [email protected] or by calling 719.576.8000.
Teacher Liaisons are selected by a panel comprising representatives from the space industry and the military and experienced Teacher Liaisons.
Pictured: Teacher Liaison workshop at the 2012 28th National Space Symposium
Posted in Space Foundation News