Space Foundation News
Visit the Space Foundation Discovery Center!
Written by: developer
Learn about Oceans of the Universe this week at the Space Foundation's new Discovery Center, the region's only space, science and technology attraction, with interactive and self-guided exhibits for all ages.
Located off Garden of the Gods Road at 4425 Arrowswest Drive, Space Foundation Discovery Center hours this summer are from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Tuesdays through Saturdays.
Each week will focus on a specific theme, culminating with a full day of special activities each Saturday, included in the price of the Saturday admission.
Daily admission is $9 for adults, $7 for seniors (age 65+), $7 for college students with I.D., $3 for children ages 4-17. Admission is free with military I.D., to children age three years and younger and to holders of the Colorado Springs Together Card.
The Saturday, June 8, "Oceans of the Universe" activities celebrate World Oceans Day and include:
- Science On a Sphere® demonstrations, featuring a unique spherical display that brings the Earth, Sun, Moon, planets and other celestial bodies to life
- "Touch of Mars" interactive display. The "Touch of Mars" interactive display (pictured above) is a collaborative 3D project produced by the Space Foundation and The Away Foundation
- Underwater robotic activities with underwater remotely operated vehicles (ROVs) similar to the ones used to train astronauts
- Squid dissection activity, "You've Got Guts." See for yourself what's inside these small ocean creatures!
- "Fossils of the Deep," children will enjoy digging for fossils and shells
- An interactive exhibit comparing SCUBA equipment with astronaut EMU suits(extravehicular mobility unit)
For young children, the June 8 activities will include crafts, balloon art, face painting and story time with local personalities reading popular children's books aloud in the Small Fry Reading Corner. Activities may be subject to change.
Posted in Space Foundation News