Report from Headquarters
Space Foundation Board Gets New Officers, Members
Written by: developer
The Space Foundation kicked off the new year with a new Board of Directors chairman, vice chairman, and secretary and with two new Board members.
William F. Ballhaus, Jr., Ph.D., retired president and chief executive officer of The Aerospace Corporation, will serve a two-year term as the chairman. He is also chairman of the Board's Finance Committe, a member of the Nominating Committee, and a member of the Executive Committee. On the Board since 2001, he served as secretary from 2006-2008 and as vice chairman 2008-2010. Ballhaus is also on the agenda of the 26th National Space Symposium.
Martin C. Faga, former president and chief executive officer of MITRE Corp. and former director of the National Reconnaissance Office (NRO), will serve a two-year term as vice chairman. He is a member of both the Board's Nominating Committee and the Executive Committee. A Board member since 2007, he served as secretary from 2008-2010. Faga will speak at the 26th National Space Symposium as a member of the panel featuring former directors of the NRO.
The Honorable Barbara Barrett, president and chief executive officer of Triple Creek Ranch and former U.S. Ambassador to Finland, has returned to the Board and will serve a two-year term as secretary. She is also a member of both the Board's Nominating Committee and the Executive Committee. Barrett served on the Board from 2007-2008, resigning when she accepted the Ambassadorship to Finland.
ADM James O. Ellis, Jr., USN (Retired), president and chief executive officer of the Institute of Nuclear Power Operations and former commander of the U.S. Strategic Command, has joined the Board for a three-year term.
Kathryn Thornton, Ph.D., director of the University of Virginia Center for Science, Mathematics, and Engineering Education and former NASA astronaut, has joined the Board for a three-year term.
In addition, the following Board members are continuing their terms:
- Lon C. Levin, president of SkySevenVentures, continues his second term as treasurer. He is also a member of the Board's Finance Committe, Nominating Committee, and Executive Committee. He originally joined the Board in 2004 and served his first term as treasurer from 2007-2009. His second term ends next January. Levin is moderating the The Next Big Thing panel at the 26th National Space Symposium.
- Anita M. Antenucci, managing director of Houlihan Lokey, has served on the Board since 2008.
- Robert A. Bednarek, president and chief executive officer of SES-AMERICOM NEW SKIES, has served on the Board since 2005.
- David Caddey, executive vice president, space missions group for MacDonald, Dettwiler & Associates, Ltd., has served on the Board since 2008.
- CAPT Frederick H. Hauk, USN (Retired), former president of AXA Space and former NASA astronaut, has served on the Board since 2006.
- Alexis C. Livanos, Ph.D., corporate vice president and chief technology officer of Northrop Grumman, has served on the Board since 2005.
- Joanne M. Maguire, executive vice president of Lockheed Martin Space Systems Company, has served on the Board since 2003.
- Elliot H. Pulham, chief executive officer of the Space Foundation, has led the Space Foundation and served on the Board since 2001. He serves as an ex-officio officer on all Board committees.
- The Honorable Charles Robb, former U.S. senator and former governor of the State of Virginia, has served on the Board since 2006.
- Col Brewster Shaw, Jr., USAF (Retired), vice president and general manager of Boeing Space and Exploration Systems and former NASA astronaut, has served on the Board since 2006.
- The Honorable Patricia Grace Smith, former assistant administrator of the Federal Aviation Administration, has served on the Board since 2009.
- David L. Taylor, president and chief executive officer of Ball Aerospace Technologies Corp., has served on the Board since 2008.
- Dave Weldon, M.D., head of Dave Weldon Consulting and former U.S. representative from the State of Florida, has served on the Board since 2009.
- Heidi R. Wood, managing director and senior equity analyst - aerospace, defense & defense electronics for Morgan Stanley, has served on the Board since 2006. Wood is appearing on the Wall Street Rapid Fire panel at the 26th National Space Symposium.
Marc L. Holtzman, former president of the University of Denver, has retired from the Board after serving for six years.
"The Space Foundation is fortunate to have a Board with such depth and breadth of experience as policy-makers, industry and military leaders, financial experts, astronauts, and educators," said Pulham. "We're grateful for the many, many contributions our outgoing chairman Gen Thomas Moorman has made and look forward to continuing to work with Dr. Ballhaus in his new role as chairman. We also thank Marc Holtzman for his many years of service to the Board."
Space Foundation Chief Financial Officer Holly Robertson serves on the Board Finance Committee.
Pictured: Board Chairman Dr. William Ballhaus, Jr.
This article is part of Space Watch: Februrary 2010 (Volume: 9, Issue: 2).
Posted in Report from Headquarters