Report from Washington, D.C.
Committees with Space Jurisdiction Change Leadership
Written by: developer
The opening of the 113th Congress welcomed 84 new members to the House of Representatives and 14 to the Senate. Several committees with jurisdiction over space saw changes to their leadership: Congressman Lamar Smith (R-TX) replaced Congressman Ralph Hall (R-TX) as the chairman of the House Science, Space, & Technology Committee due to term limits.
Other Committee and Subcommittee leadership changes include:
- Congresswoman Donna Edwards (D-MD) has taken over as Ranking Member of the House Space and Aeronautics Subcommittee for former Congressman Jerry Costello (D-IL).
- Congressman Mike Rogers (R-AL) has taken over as Chairman of the House Strategic Forces Subcommittee for Congressman Michael Turner (R-OH).
- Congresswoman Nita Lowey (D-NY) has taken over as Ranking Member of the House Appropriations Committee for former Congressman Norm Dicks (D-WA).
- Congressman Ed Royce (R-CA) has taken over as Chairman of the House Foreign Affairs Committee for Congresswoman Ileana Ros-Lehtinen (R-FL).
- Senator Barbara Mikulski (D-MD) has taken over as Chairwoman of the Senate Appropriations Committee for former Senator Daniel Inouye (D-HI).
- Senator Richard Shelby (R-AL) has taken over as Ranking Member of the Senate Appropriations Committee for Senator Thad Cochran (R-MS).
- Senator John Thune (R-SD) has taken over as Ranking Member of the Senate Commerce, Science, & Transportation Committee for former Senator Kay Bailey Hutchison (R-TX).
- Senator James Inhofe (R-OK) has taken over as Ranking Member of the Senate Armed Services Committee for Senator John McCain (R-AZ).
The Space Foundation has put together a comprehensive document that lists the publically announced assignments of members of Congress to committees with jurisdiction over space policy in 113th U.S. Congress. Click here for the full report.
This article is part of Space Watch: February 2013 (Volume: 12, Issue: 2).
Posted in Report from Washington, D.C.