Promoting Aerospace in Colorado
Written by: developer
Space Foundation COO Shelli Brunswick participated in the recent Government Aerospace Affairs Forum, a bi-annual event organized by the Colorado Office of Economic Development & International Trade (OEDIT) and the Colorado Space Coalition. The purpose of the forum was to inform Colorado Congressional delegation staff members of important legislative issues to promote aerospace in Colorado.
Brunswick moderated the panel on “Space Programs, Priorities and Impacts for Colorado.” Panelists included:
- Hope Damphousse – Director, Legislative Affairs, Ball Aerospace
- Ken Lavoie – Director Space and Air Force Programs, Critical Networks Division, Harris Corporation
- Maj. Gen. Tony Przybyslawski – Executive Director for Marketing, The Boeing Company
- Dr. Ron Sega – Director, Systems Engineering Programs, Colorado State University, and Space Foundation Board Member
The panel provided thoughtful dialogue on a number of topics, including how:
- advocacy can bolster funding for NASA and NOAA in a continued difficult budget outlook across the federal government
- the commercialization of space operations is impacting the Colorado supported space missions
- delegation members can best support the human capital and investment infrastructure required to ensure US leadership in an increasingly competitive global aerospace marketplace
A second panel at the Forum discussed Cybersecurity. The event was held at the Catalyst Campus in Colorado Springs.
The Space Foundation also participated in another recent Colorado Space Coalition event, the annual Aerospace Day at the Capitol. Aerospace leaders throughout the state descended upon Denver to celebrate Colorado Aerospace Day 2016, transforming the Capitol into an epicenter of space exploration, and highlighting the numerous contributions and benefits the aerospace industry brings to the state’s economic growth. Along with Colorado Space Coalition, this event is also hosted by the Colorado Space Business Roundtable, Citizens for Space Exploration and the Aerospace States’ Association.
Pictured: at left, Maj. Gen. Jay Lindell, USAF (Ret), Aerospace And Defense Industry Champion at the Colorado Office of Economic Development and International Trade, addresses the panel “Space Programs, Priorities and Impacts for Colorado,” moderated by Space Foundation COO Shelli Brunswick, at right.
This article is part of Space Watch: May 2016 (Volume: 15, Issue: 5).
Posted in Spotlight